Wording "free from encumbrances" has been left out in above document
The provisions of Sect. 219 of the Australian Copyright Act, 1968 states that the author of an original work is entitled to TEN (10) PERCENT of gross earnings. The amount ($ 218,000.00) shown above as the first item under the heading "ABOVE THE LINE COSTS" represents the fee that is normally paid to a scriptwriter for converting an original story into an original screenplay.
Who is entitled to royalties at the rate of TEN (10) % of gross earnings for the Harry Potter films ? Is it J.K. Rowlings or Daniel Radcliffe who was selected to play the lead role ?
Since when does the actor selected to play the lead role in a film becomes entitled to the royalties owing to the author of the original work upon which the film is based ?
Reproduction of work upon payment of royalties
(a) the reproduction takes place at a time after the expiration of twenty‑five years, or, in the case of a work in which copyright subsisted at the commencement of the Copyright Act, 1911, after the expiration of thirty years, after the date of the death of the author; and
(b) the person reproducing the work establishes:
(i) that, before the commencement of this Act, he or she gave the notice in writing of his or her intention to reproduce the work that was prescribed for the purposes of the proviso to section 3 of the Copyright Act, 1911; and
(ii) that he or she has paid, in the manner that was prescribed for the purposes of that proviso, or is prescribed for the purposes of this section, as the case may be, to, or for the benefit of, the owner of the copyright royalties in respect of all copies of the work sold by him or her calculated at the rate of ten per centum of the price at which he or she published the reproduction.
(2) The regulations may make provision for or in relation to the manner in which, and the times at which, payment of royalties is to be made for the purposes of subparagraph (ii) of paragraph (b) of the last preceding subsection and may include provision requiring payment in advance, or otherwise securing the payment of the royalties.
(3) Regulations 38 to 42, inclusive, of the Copyright Regulations as in force under the Copyright Act 1912‑1966 immediately before the commencement of this Act continue in force for the purposes of this section as if they had been made under this Act, but may be amended or repealed by regulations made under this Act.
(4) A reference in paragraph (1)(a) to a time after the expiration of a specified number of years from the date of the death of the author of a work shall, in the case of a work of joint authorship, be read as a reference to a time after:
(a) the expiration of the same number of years from the date of the death of the author who died first; or
(b) the date of the death of the author who died last; whichever is the later.
(5) Where a literary, dramatic or musical work, or an engraving, in which copyright subsisted at the date of the death of the author or, in the case of a work of joint authorship, at or immediately before the date of the death of the author who died last:
(a) had not been published;
before that date, subsection (1) applies as if the author had died on the date on which:
(6) In this section, expressions that are defined by section 204 have the meanings respectively given to those expressions by that section and do not have the meanings, if any, respectively given to those expressions by Part II.
50 % of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is for sale - anybody interested ?
Does the Sydney Harbour Bridge ALSO belong to some exclusively selected person who was employed in the distant past to work on it as a labourer ?
On the first section of the above form 66 obtained from the National Companies and Securities Commission in August 1989, Paul Hogan's place of birth is recorded as "Sydney" (Paramatta to be precise) ...
After the film "Lightning Jack" was released for exhibition, Paul Hogan's place of birth was changed to "Lightning Ridge" uniquely for promotion purposes.
The fact that Paul Hogan's place of birth was changed does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that Paul Hogan was born TWICE - i.e. the first time in Sydney and the second time in Lightning Ridge.